November 11, 2015

Wednesday Writing Wisdom (33) Margaret Atwood



"You most likely need a thesaurus, a rudimentary grammar book, and a grip on reality. This latter means: there’s no free lunch. Writing is work. It’s also gambling. You don’t get a pension plan. Other people can help you a bit, but ­essentially you’re on your own. ­Nobody is making you do this: you chose it, so don’t whine."

                     

  Margaret Atwood
       (18 November 1939)
     Curious facts about: 

Her grade 12 English teacher, Miss Bessie Billings, had this to say about one of her early poems: "I can't understand a word of this, dear, so it must be good." Atwood was first published as a poet in 1961 with her collection Double Persephone. She admitted in a 1990 interview with The Paris Review that some of her poems led to novels: “I don’t think I solve problems in my poetry; I think I uncover the problems. Then the novel seems a process of working them out.”
 


As a child, she found Snow White traumatizing.
 

She has no particular writing routine, nor does she write every day. She always begins her writing with a pen or pencil and paper.


 She's the inventor of the LongPen, an electronic pen that

lets her sign books remotely.




4 comments:

  1. I shared your link on FB too. I love her quote, especially the don't whine part. I need reminding of that now and then;) I had a Miss Bessie in 5th grade. Thanks for the post, Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Flossie!
      I am glad you enjoy my posts.

      Delete
  2. Like Flossie, I love her quote and her take on writing. I definitely need to be reminded of those facts now and then, especially when the going gets rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, Mae. Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.